How To Make A Margarita With Margarita Mix
If you have the time, make your margaritas from scratch. But if you’re in a hurry or if you’re making margaritas for a large crowd, using margarita mix can be a valuable shortcut. While you’ll miss the fresh lime flavor of a homemade margarita, you’ll be able to fill a pitcher in a fraction of the time.
Of course, not all margarita mixes are created equal. Avoid mixes that are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup and other artificial ingredients. Instead, look for margarita mixes made with real lime juice, cane sugar, or agave syrup. With better quality ingredients in the mix, your margaritas will taste closer to the real thing.
Disadvantages Of Using A Margarita Mix
You may consider purchasing a mix, but these commercially sold juice concoctions are not healthy for the body. Here are some of the reasons why you should skip the margarita mix.
1.) It contains artificial flavors
2.) Chemical preservatives are included in margarita mix to increase the shelf life.
3.) High level of sugar content
So, this is why you should not use a margarita mix. Preparing a margarita from scratch only takes a few minutes.
How To Make A Pitcher Of Margaritas That Stays Fresh
Whether it’s Tuesday or not, summer is the perfect time to treat you and your friends to a pitcher of margaritas and a platter of tacos. Margaritas are fairly easy to make, with traditional recipes requiring only three ingredients tequila, orange liqueur , and lime juice. Or, if you’re in a pinch, you can use store-bought margarita mix.
With these simple tips for keeping the pitcher fresh, you won’t have to play bartender the whole night or worry about some sad, watered-down slosh. Plus, we’ll share some of our favorite margarita recipes that can be used as big-batch cocktails, so you’ll have delicious margaritas on-hand all night long.
Recommended Reading: What Can I Mix Scotch Whiskey With
How To Order A Skinny Margarita At A Restaurant
Ordering a truly sugar free skinny margarita at a restaurant or bar is tricky, because many places use a pre-made mix that is loaded with sugar. Its worth asking if they dont use a mix, because if not, you can ask for it without simple syrup. But, this only works if they dont use a mix.
If they tell you they have it pre-made from a mix, a good alternative is to get a mojito without simple syrup, as this is usually not pre-mixed and can be ordered sugar-free very easily.
How To Make Homemade Margarita Mix:
- Create a simple syrup by boiling water and sugar.
- Mix with freshly squeezed lemon juice and lime juice.
Yes! Thats it.
One important note: For the most flavorful margarita mix, I recommend using freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice. Fresh is beyond compare!
With your mix prepared, I assume youre ready for a cocktail.
Don’t Miss: What Vodka Is Keto Friendly
Simple Homemade Margarita Recipe
If theres one drink that should be so simple, but somehow turns so complicated, I think its a margarita. Theres blended, on the rocks, from a mix that comes in gallon-sized jugs sometimes with alcohol already added and sometimes without.
Some margaritas are made with just tequila and others with a smorgasbord of other booze added, including triple sec, Cointreau, Gran Marnier, Chambord, and more.
People shouldnt need to look up how to make a margarita because it shouldnt be so hard. Ive gone back to the basics, with the classic margarita ingredients.
How To Make A Margarita On The Rocks
A margarita on the rocks is the most traditional way to make a margarita cocktail. Making a homemade margarita on the rocks is simple. Basic recipes combine tequila, triple sec, and fresh lime juice to create a tangy, earthy, and slightly sweet drink. Instead of triple sec, some recipes balance out the drink’s tartness with simple syrup or agave syrup, a natural match for agave-based tequila.
While good tequila is important for a delicious margarita on the rocks scroll down to see how to choose the best tequila for a margarita fresh lime juice is just as crucial. Yes, squeezing limes by hand takes time, but the flavor is far superior to bottled lime juice. As for triple sec, it really depends on your budget. Grand Marnier and Cointreau are top quality but not the most economical options. There are many other, less expensive triple secs, including Bol’s Triple Sec, which will also make a lip-smacking margarita.
Read Also: Who Owns Patron Tequila Paul Mitchell
How Do I Use This Margarita Mix To Make A Margarita
All you need to make an awesome margarita are two ounces of mix and two ounces of good tequila. I also like to do a salt/sugar mix on the rim of the glasses when Im feeling a little fancy. Serve over ice for a margarita on the rocks.
You can also use this margarita mix to make a whole pitcher of margaritas. Stir the whole batch of mix together with two cups of tequila, and stash in the fridge until chilled. Youre ready to serve margaritas to a crowd!
Want More Recipes Like This One
- Lighter Pina Colada. Only 4 ingredients stand between you and this naturally sweetened Pina Colada Recipe.
- Autumn Apple Rose Sangria. This festive cocktail is perfect for fall gatherings .
- Infused Water. Stay hydrated with our 8 different flavors of infused water.
- Strawberry Mojito. This pitcher cocktail is always a party favorite.
- How to Make Cold Brew Coffee. Learn how to cold brew coffee, which makes for a lower acidity drink without sacrificing flavor.
- Strawberry Margarita Recipe. Who doesnt love a frosty, fruity drink on a hot summer day?
- Autumn Apple Kombucha Moscow Mule. This warming fall twist on a classic Moscow mule is my favorite Crown Royal Apple drink!
Recommended Reading: Is There Sugar In Gin
How To Make A Margarita Without Mix
The best thing about making a homemade margarita from scratch is, it will be suitable for all ages. Margarita usually contains an alcoholic ingredient named Tequila, making it a no-kid drink. In this article, you will learn how to make an intoxicated free drink to be enjoyed not only by adults but children as well. All the ingredients will be 100% natural, zero chemical and preservatives, and alcohol-free. A margarita is easy to make, and the preparation time can take up to 15 minutes max.
How To Make Margaritas
Don’t Miss: The Best Frozen Margarita Recipe
What Kind Of Alcohol Do I Need To Make Margaritas
Youll need to get your hands on some tequilaeither white or gold will work. Many tequila aficionados save the best tequilas for drinking straight, and use slightly lower quality/more affordable tequila for margaritasthe flavor of the margarita mix will cover up any harshness in the lower-shelf tequila.
How To Make A Skinny Margarita
This section shows how to make a low carb margarita without sugar, including step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
The steps for how to make a skinny margarita are so easy! I can hardly call this a recipe, there really isnt much to it.
- Blend. Combine tequila, lime juice, orange extract, Besti, and ice cubes in a powerful blender.
TIP: Select the ice crush setting on your blender. Or, you can use any setting that is powerful enough to get through the ice. Blend until a slushy texture forms.
- Add more ice if needed, to make about 32 fl oz total. This will be equivalent to four 1-cup margaritas. The exact amount of ice will vary because it depends on the size of your ice cubes and how they fit into a measuring cup. Just use your judgement to get the right amount.
- Salt the rim. Run a slice of lime around the rim of each . Dip the rim into a plate or shallow bowl covered in sea salt.
- Serve. Pour frozen margaritas into the glasses. Dont forget to garnish with slices of lime!
You May Like: How Many Carbs In Vodka Soda
How To Upgrade Your Margarita
There are so many ways you can upgrade your margarita recipe! Try out some of these varieties to shake things up a bit.
Spice up your salt rim. I like to add lime zest and a pinch of cayenne to the salt. You can also add a bit of sugar to the mix.
Try it with mezcal! A mezcal margarita is a very different experience but just as delightful. Mezcal is an Oaxacan spiritlike tequila, its from the agave plant, but has a smokier profile. It can make a lovely margarita with a complex flavor.
Add some fruit for a flavored margarita. This is a classic way to personalize your margarita. I love to add fresh berries in the summer, either muddled into a drink on the rocks or blended in a frozen margarita.
Cointreau is a type of triple sec, or orange liqueur, which is a classic choice for margaritas. But there are many types of triple sec out there that would be just as delicious. You can also try other types of orange liqueurs like Grand Marnier or Curacao, which will change the flavor slightly.
How Much Alcohol Is In A Margarita
This really depends on the recipe and your preferences. My preferred ratio for a great margarita is 2 parts Tequila to 1 part lime juice and 1 part Triple Sec. Thats quite a bit of alcohol in any given margarita .
So for a typical glass, you could expect 3 ounces of alcohol. If you want less alcohol in your drink, simply use a 1:1:1 ratio .
Read Also: How Many Carbs Does Tequila Have
How To Make A Margarita From Scratch
This is a super simple margarita recipe trust me, a drink this good doesnt need any fussy ingredients or extra steps! This is technically a margarita on the rocks recipe since I poured the mixture over ice feel free to omit if desired.
Heres how to make homemade margaritas:
See? Making a margarita without mix is so easy!
Strain The Margaritas Into Glasses And Enjoy
All that’s left to do is strain the cocktail into the prepared glasses , add some ice in, garnish with a lime wedge, and serve. As you sip, you’ll notice all of those wonderfully fresh flavors that McGlinn was describing, and you’ll also contemplate how you could ever go back to store bought margarita mix.
As for food pairing options, McGlinn notes that there really is no better option than Mexican food. “There is no better pairing for a margarita than salty chips and spicy salsas,” she says, noting that the salty and spicy flavors go well with the sweet and sour ones that the margarita offers. “Other specific dishes I like margaritas with are fish tacos, tacos al pastor, flautas, and gorditas,” she adds.
How To Make A Strawberry Margarita And Other Variations
Now that you know how to make a great margarita, let’s switch up the classic recipe. Boost your margarita’s nutrition by infusing it with strawberries, bananas, grapefruit, and cucumber. Or pump up the flavor with unexpected secret ingredients like beer or jalapeños. You can also substitute the tequila in a margarita for mezcal, an intense, smoky-flavored spirit that’s also derived from the agave plant.
Check out these tasty margarita variations:
Notes On Some Ingredients:
- Tequila silver or reposado are traditionally used in margaritas. However, you can use any type of tequila that you enjoy.
- Orange Liquor- either Triple Sec or Cointreau are good options.
- Lime juice fresh squeezed is the best way to go!
- Simple syrup or Agave this creates a sweeter margarita. It is optional, you can enjoy a margarita without it, but I much prefer my cocktails to have a bit of sweetness to balance the tart punch of the lime juice.
- Kosher Salt or Sugar another optional ingredient. Use either to rim your glass.
Also Check: How To Drink Fireball Whiskey
What Is The Best Tequila For Margaritas
You can use whatever tequila you like for margaritas, but I prefer to go with cheaper options rather than the best Tequila. Once its mixed in, having the highest quality Tequila wont matter.
That being said, I also dont pick the cheapest Tequila. Go for a good mid-range Tequila and youll be set. Repasado Tequilas are much smoother than Blanco Tequilas, so I prefer that.
To Make A Strawberry Margarita Mix Recipe:
Add 4 cups of chopped strawberries instead of fresh mint. Press the strawberries with the back of a spoon or fork to extract as much juice as possible while the syrup cooks. Pour through a strainer or use a slotted spoon to remove strawberries.
We also have a recipe for a yummy Frozen Strawberry Basil Margarita you should try!
Recommended Reading: What Glass For Gin And Tonic
How To Make Margaritas On The Rocks
A margarita on the rocks is the most traditional way to enjoy a margarita, and the best margarita to serve in a pitcher. It’s typically enjoyed in a glass rimmed with salt and garnished with a lime wedge.
The easiest recipe combines tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice with fresh ice in a cocktail shaker. However, some people like to balance out a margarita by replacing the orange liqueur with simple syrup, which will cut the tartness of the drink. Shake it all together and serve.
Try our favorite margarita on the rocks recipes:
Variations Of A Margarita Recipe
- Add club soda or 7up for a touch of fizz.
- Shake ingredients with a couple of slices of jalapeño for a spicy kick.
- Muddle fresh fruit, such as blackberries or strawberries at the bottom of the glass for a fruit margarita.
- For a more tart drink, leave out the sour mix.
- Try fresh herbs, such as basil or cilantro, shaken with the ingredients. The herbs also go well with fruit additions.
- For a frozen fruit margarita, blend all the ingredients with 1/2 cup FROZEN fruit and a few ice cubes.
More of my favorite margarita recipes!!
Tools used to make this Margarita Recipe
Jigger: Every home bartender should have a jigger for measuring their cocktail ingredients. This one has a no-slip grip and is marked with increment measuring lines so you can make the perfect cocktail every time.
Cocktail Shaker: This shaker is a bartenders best friend! Easy to use and the best way to mix up your favorite cocktails!
Pitcher: I love pitcher drinks and this pitcher always gets oohs and ahhs from my friends and readers.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Tequila For The Money
Classic Margarita Recipe A Non
As mentioned before, almost all recipes include Tequila as the primary ingredient. According to research, a single serving of margarita contains 33% alcohol. Since it is a popular cocktail enjoyed by many, it is only fair that kids get to drink it also, the non-alcoholic one of course.
Here is a list of the required ingredients.
Tips And Tricks To Make Homemade Margarita Mix
Looking for a way to make this mix NA? How about the right way to zest those limes? Find the answers with these tips and tricks.
- Zesting limes: A fine microplane gets just the right amount of zest off the lime and none of the white pith underneath. Also, dont feel like you have to strain this with a fine strainer. Some lime zest floating around lets your guests know, Hey! Theres real lime in there!
- Non-alcoholic mix: Swap out the Cointreau with orange juice and zest. You may need to adjust the sweetness up or down depending on the type of orange you choose, so taste as you go! Offer your guests this nonalcoholic alternative margarita mix with sparkling water or tonic for a bubbly alternative to tequila.
- If youre looking for something other than tonic water as an alcohol substitute in your NA cocktails we have a whole list of our favorites in this article on The Best Non-Alcoholic Spirits for Building a Sober Bar.
You May Like: How To Drink Malibu Coconut Rum
The Process Of Creating Your Margarita With A Mix
For two servings, your preparation time should only be a few minutes.
- Six ounces of your preferred liquid margarita mix
- Three ounces of tequilaBlanco or some reposado varieties work particularly well
- Coarse kosher salt
Now that you have all your ingredients in place, the next thing will be to decide whether you want to make your margarita mix on the rocks or blended.
Here are some steps to follow when making either one of these margarita cocktail options using a mix.
On the Rocks