How To Make Valentines Day Jello Shots
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup cold water and 1 cup vodka.
Whisk in pink starburst jello, until dissolved.
Pour 2 cups of boiling water and whisk again.
Set the bowl aside to cool for a few minutes.
Take your shot glasses and pour them halfway full with the pink starburst jello.
Move them to the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
Once that layer has set, take another large bowl and combine 1 cup cold water and 1 cup vodka.
Whisk in cherry jello, stirring until jello has dissolved.
Pour in 2 cups boiling water and whisk again.
Give this jello about 20 minutes or so to cool before pouring over the pink layer.
Once youve added your 2nd layer, move the shots to the refrigerator to chill for another 2 hours before serving.
Once it is time to serve, top with whipped cream and Valentines day sprinkles.
Please remember to SHARE on Facebook and PIN IT
I would love for you to share a link to this recipe, but please Do Not copy/paste the recipe or instructions to social media or websites. You may share one photo with a link back.
Do Not Forget To Pin! So you can come back and make this tasty Valentines Day Jello Shots recipe!
Which Vodka Is The Best To Use For Jello Shots
Since vodka is the front and center ingredient here, I would recommend using decent quality vodka in the $15 price range. For this budget range, you can get the Absolute or Smirnoff brand.
Obviously, the more expensive brands will work as well, and be smoother. Just do not use the cheapest, bottom-shelf big plastic bottle!
Lucky Charm Vodka Jello Shots
Published by JZ Eats
These Lucky Charm Vodka Jello Shots are a fun way to celebrate St. Patricks Day! Make them a day ahead and pull them out when youre ready!
Don’t Miss: Pinnacle Vodka Mixers
More Fun Jello Shots Recipes
Peach Crown Jello Shots Peach Jello Shots made with Peach Crown Royal Whisky.
Pina Colada Jello Shots The taste of a Pina Colada in a jello shot.
Easy Pineapple Rum Punch always a refreshing party favorite.
Pineapple Screwdriver a taste of Hawaii with these pineapple drinks.
There are so many great garnishes for these pineapple mango jello shots!
Jello Shots What Are They Anyway
Tasty individual slurpable servings of a boozy gelatin concoction. They have a history dating back into the 1950s, and somewhat of a reputation for being a spring break staple. Rumor even has it that they originated as a workaround to a restriction on a military base regarding bringing alcohol onto the base. Solution: mix the alcohol into jello, problem solved.
Read Also: Best Effen Vodka Flavor
How To Easily Make The Best Vodka Jello Shots
This post contains affiliate links. We may earn money from the products mentioned in this post, but this is at no cost to you
Learn how to make vodka jelly shots the easy way. This recipe is perfect for entertaining at Christmas parties or other occasions.
This recipe is a lot of fun due to the fact that you can eat the cup too! This is the perfect adult boozy treat.Related articles:
Jello shots really have to be one of the most fun little treats at a party.
They are made ahead of time, and they are incredibly fun to consume!
How To Make Layered Jell
Allow several hours to make these colorful, multi-layered shots.
- Working with 1 layer at a time, dissolve a 3-ounce package of flavored gelatin in 1 cup of boiling water. Add 1 cup vodka or other spirit.
- Pour into prepared shot cups or molds, leaving room for the other layers. Chill until set, about 1 hour in the fridge. Prepare the next gelatin color layer and pour it on top of the first layer. Chill until set. Repeat with as many layers as you dare.
You May Like: 1940 Don Julio
What Kind Of Liquor Can I Use In These Easy Vodka Jello Shots
While plain or vanilla flavored vodka is a go-to for this recipe, Malibu Rum, or even Silver Tequila can be substituted.
I recommend using a clear liquor so that the gelatin keeps its fun bright colors.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Keep an eye on the alcohol content if using a different alcohol. Some are 40 proof, and some are 80 proof. If using 80 proof use half of what this recipe calls for!
Improving Your Jello Shots
If extra-strong jello shots are crappy, is there any way to make ones worth drink-eating?
The structure and mouthfeel of gelatin depends on the crosslinking of polymers and colloids to form a gel. As it turns out, you can create a huge range of textures and mouthfeels by using different gelling agents.
For example, to make vegetarian/vegan jelly shots, you can use agar-agar, a seaweed-derived gelling agent often used in Asian candies. Unfortunately, agar has more “crumble” and less “chewiness” than traditional gelatin. And that’s not a subjective statementscientists actually measure this stuff .
Digging through our archives, I found out we’ve already played with recipes from the Jelly Shot Test Kitchena book that creates beautiful and delicious jellies using just plain-old gelatin. The beautiful image above comes from that book.
To take texture up to eleven, though, requires some special ingredients.
These carbonated Mojito spheres are thickened with a corn-based thickener called xanthan gum often used in gluten free-cooking. The gellified outer coat is created using sodium alginate, a seaweed-derived gelling agent. Inside, a totally liquid cocktail awaits. It bursts open when you bite down on the sphere.
The original idea is credited to Chef Jose Andres of Minibar and was recreated by the team at Molecular Recipes.
So, are jello shots worth giving another… shot? What’s the best jello shot or gellified cocktail you’ve ever tried?
You May Like: What To Mix With Mango Pineapple Vodka
Whats The Best Alcohol To Use
Vodka is the classic alcohol to use in jello shots. You can also use flavored alcohols that pair with the jello you choose. For example, the fruity flavors in Malibu Rum can pair really well some of the Jell-O flavors. Please consume alcohol responsibly.
Despite the name, please dont try to take these like a shot all in one mouthful you could choke. Its much better to loosen the edges with your finger or a butter knife, then bite off a piece.
How To Make Strong Jello Shots
The easiest way to make a strong jello shot is to use either Everclear or Bacardi 151 rum. You could even go as so far as to add something like moonshine if youre able to get it. Or any other super concentrated alcohol. But one thing to remember, the higher the alcohol content, the less water youll need or else the jello wont ever set up correctly and theyll be more like jello shooters than a fun jiggly shot.
Don’t Miss: Jim Beam Honey Mixes
Other Combinations For Jello Shots
- Cranberry Jello and Vodka with a slice of lime stuffed in the cup
- Peach Jello and Peach SchnappsPeach Jello and bourbon
- Mixed Fruit jello and dark rumMixed Fruit jello and wilderberry schnapps
- Green apple jello and sour apple pucker
- Strawberry banana jello and Blue Hawaiian maui
- Pineapple jello and cranberry jello with Malibu Rum
- Cherry jello and orange jello with Captain Morgan
- Lemon jello and lime jello with Irish Whiskey
How Do I Remove The Jello Shots From The Ice Cube Trays
Once the Jello is firm, place the bottom of the tray in a baking dish of warm water to release the Jello Shots all at the same time. The tray usually needs to sit in the warm water for 1 to 3 minutes to release.
If you have stubborn jello shots, due to a thick plastic ice tray, you can let the warm water run over the corner of each jello shot. It will quickly turn over, making it easy to dump out.
Recommended Reading: Who Makes Members Mark American Vodka
Best Vodka For Jello Shots
Picking your favorite jello flavor is only half the battle. You need to have a good vodka too.
Im not talking about the high end $35 a bottle stuff. Thats for martinis and vodka soda. For these jello shots, a $12 bottle of Absolut or Smirnoff will work just fine.
Dont pick a bottom shelf big plastic bottle. The vodka will come through in the shots and you want a vodka thats smoother.
Pineapple Jello Shot Directions
Put your pot on the stove, pull out your measuring cup and gather your ingredients. These shots will be ready in a flash.
At the bottom of the page is the printable ingredients and directions.
Recommended Reading: 1800 Reposado Tequila Recipes
Make Them Tropical Style
Of course, I love these pineapple straws! Now, were not drinking the jello shot through the straws. They add cute ambiance especially if youre hosting a Hawaiian Luau style party and they are actually useful in loosening the pineapple jello shots so you and your friends dont look too silly trying to scoop them out with your tongue!
Tropical drink umbrellas would also look cute. They always make the party a little more fun.
If youre serving these in your own home, its easy to decorate them with different super cute ideas. But, if youre taking them to an outdoor event, itll be easier to just snap the lid on the mini shot cups and toss them in a cooler where they stay cold until served.
What You Really Want To Know: How To Make Ridiculously Strong Jello Shots
First, let me skip straight to an important takeaway: extra-strong jello shots are just plain nasty and there’s almost no good reason to make them.
So why am I explaining how to make jello shots stronger? Because understanding the limits of what’s possible helps make you a more informed cook.
First, know your bloom strength. The water-binding power of gelatin is measured in something called bloom. The term sounds like it has something to do with “blooming” gelatin in water, but it actually is named for a scientist named Oscar T. Bloom who developed a test for measuring the strength of gels. Weaker gelatin might get a lower bloom rating around 50 while a bloom of 200 is considered pretty strong. As David Lebovitz shares, standard grocery-store Knox brand gelatin is plenty strong, clocking in at 225 bloom. To make strong gels, make sure to use strong gelatin. If bloom strength isn’t listed on your generic gelatin, that may be the source of gelling problems.
Yes, if you boil the gelatin in water for enough time, it will eventually hydrate and you can skip the slurry step. The hydration step helps for recipes when you don’t want to bring your liquid to a full boil.
Their key takeaways:
Read Also: Malibu Coconut Rum Punch Recipes
How Do You Take A Jello Shot
If you have a plastic container, run a dull knife or your finger around the inside edge of the container to remove the Jello. If you use shot glasses made of glass, make sure you have little spoons to remove the Jello from the glass. Break the shots up and dont try to swallow them all at once you dont want to choke on them. As with all alcohol, consume the shots responsibly.
How Long Are Jello Shots Good For
You should eat your shots within a week. Two weeks at the absolute most!
After that, the gelatin will start to break down and they will have a weird texture and the taste isnt great.
See?! How easy is that? The hard part if waiting for them to set up. Its worth noting youll get about 10 or so vodka jello shots per box of Jell-O. SO if youre making one flavor youll want to grab a few boxes of gelatin. Or you can have fun with your colors and flavors and mix things up!
The cherry, grape, and berry blue are my favorites when Im making a big batch. That being said since vodka is a neutral spirit and doesnt have a flavor, you can really use whichever Jell-O you love best! Which kind are you mixing up?
My favorite flavor pairing ideas
- Lime vodka + Cherry gelatin = Cherry Limeade
- Vanilla vodka + Peach gelatin = Peach Cobbler
- Whipped vodka + Lemon gelatin = Lemon Meringue Pie
- Coconut vodka + Pineapple gelatin = Tropical Punch
- Cake vodka + Strawberry gelatin = Strawberry Shortcake
Read Also: Who Makes Member’s Mark Liquor
Great Vodkas If You Have Money To Spend
- Grey Goose: Grey Goose is delicious. However, you’re mostly paying for the import cost here, not necessarily the quality of vodka. That said, it IS a better vodka than Smirnoff, meaning that it’s smoother. If you can afford a giant bottle of Goose, those shots will go down real smooth.
- Absolut: In the same quality tier as Grey Goose, this is a wonderful vodka. However, the extra quality that you’re paying for is likely to get lost in the Jell-O. If you find a good sale though, go for it! This vodka won’t disappoint.
- Belvedere: While delicious and smooth with only the slightest of burns, the intricate flavors are going to be overwhelmed by the Jell-O. If you can swing it and want some smooooth shots, go for it.
Recipe Tips And Variations
- Yield: Each 3-ounce box of Jello makes 10 Jello Shots.
- Two hues: For shots with 2 color layers in one cup, fill shot glasses halfway with the first Jello mixture and refrigerate for 2 hours. Repeat with the second color and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours more.
- Make ahead: Prepare up to 3 days in advance, then store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- Sugar-free: If desired, substitute one 0.6-ounce box of sugar-free Jello for the 3-ounce box of regular Jello.
- Gelatin sheets: To prepare Jello Shots using gelatin sheets instead of powder, mix together 1 cup vodka and 1 cup fruit juice, such as lemon juice. Add 2 gelatin sheets and allow to bloom for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make simple syrup in a small saucepan by mixing together 2/3 cup of water and 2/3 cup granulated sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Whisk hot simple syrup into the gelatin mixture. Continue with step 3. If fresh fruit juice is used, the Jello shots may take longer to set up.
- Other liquors: If youre not fond of vodka, substitute in spirits you enjoy. Consider cocktail-inspired mixes: Try tequila and lime Jello for a Margarita Jello Shot, bourbon and orange Jello for an Old Fashioned Jello Shot or gin and lemon Jello for a Tom Collins Jello Shot.
Recommended Reading: Veil Vodka Gluten Free
Best Jello Shots Recipe
Flavored Jello and Vodka come together for this party-approved Jello shots recipe. Jello shots are the life of the party. Whip this tried and true Jello shots with vodka or rum for that matter a try.
Making jello shots is super easy, and I help you to know how much vodka to use for jello shot ratio, perfect jello shot containers and more.
Strawberry Whipped Cream Vodka Jello Shots
Parties and jello shots, two things that just seem to go hand in hand naturally. Heck, Ive even been on Halloween camping weekends where fellow campers were handing candy to the kiddos and jello shots to the adults. Good times indeed!
As we are rolling into the summer months, I figured why not share a simple jello shot recipe thatll be perfect for summer gatherings. You can whip these up for Memorial Day, July 4th, or Labor Day Weekend get-togethers, BBQs or even just a simple pool party with the gals.
If jello shots arent on your radar, fear not. Ill walk you through how to make this easy-to-make adult treat. And once you discover how easy they are to prepare, I bet youll be finding all sorts of occasions to whip up a round or two.
This version couldnt be simpler, let me introduce you to Strawberry Whipped Cream Vodka Jello Shots. The basis of these treats begins with good old Strawbery Jello, its a classic.
Next, youll need Pinnacle Whipped Vodka, if you havent tried this vodka it is delish! The whipped cream vodka adds a fun addition to the strawberry flavor. Lastly, youll need some fancy garnish: it can be a simple as a can of whipped cream and some freshly cut strawberries. Told you it was simple!
How does a Blue Hawaiian Jello Shot sound? > > > < < <
Don’t Miss: Jim Bean Review
How To Make Vodka Jello Shots
1. Grease the plastic shot cups. Grease the inside of each plastic shot cup with cooking spray. This makes it easy for them to slide right out of the cup.
2. Boil the water. Heat 2 cups of water until boiling.
3. Mix in the Jell-O shot mixture. Pour the boiling water into a mixing bowl with the Jell-O powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved. Pour in the vodka and whisk.
Fill each shot cup with the Jell-O mixture and refrigerate for 1-2 hours until firm.
4. Decorate the Jell-O shots. Just before serving, top each Jell-O shot with whipped cream and sprinkles.