How To Pick Tequila For Margarita
With over a thousand brands registered for making tequila, it can be intimidating to choose the right one. Therefore, youll now learn what to look for when picking tequila for your margarita mix!
The first thing to look for when choosing tequila for the margarita is that its made from 100% agave. This is usually clearly labeled on the bottle. There are 4 main variants you can choose from. Most people prefer either blanco or reposado for the margarita.
Thats the short answer. Here is also a table over the different types of tequila, their age, and some information about each of them:
|Types of tequila:|
|At least 3 years.||Extra aged. Darker color than añejo and more complex flavor.|
As you can see what separates the types from each other is how long they have been aged in oak barrels after distillation. These are the most important types to know about. Now, which is best for the margarita?
Most people do as mentioned earlier prefer the blanco or reposado. This is because they taste more pure agave, while the older ones have a more complex flavor, and therefore may be a bit too much for what we want in the tequila. They are however great to sip as they are.
As you can see in the table, the blanco is also known as silver tequila. If you search the web for recipes, thats often what they call it!
Her seier me ka sort osv også viser me kor mykje å blanda i neste avsnitt. Då tar me fram 2-1-1 regelen.
Tips For Making The Perfect Margarita
A perfect Margarita is all about finding the right balance of sweet and sour. For some people, that means adding a little extra lime juice or orange juice, and others might prefer to add a touch of sweetness with agave nectar or simple syrup. Of course, don’t forget the saltrimming your glass with salt is essential for that classic margarita flavor. So, whatever your preference is, be sure to experiment until you find thebest margarita mixand recipe that you prefer.
If you are just starting out, here are a few tips to help you get it just right:
- Use fresh lime juice for the best flavor.
- If your margarita is too tart, add a little bit of agave nectar or simple syrup.
- If you don’t have a margarita mix, you can use a common sweet and sour mix instead.
- If your margarita is too sweet, add a little bit more lime juice.
- Be sure to taste as you go along so you can adjust the flavor to your liking.
- A little bit of salt goes a long way in bringing out the flavors of a margarita.
Tips For Making The Best Margaritas With Mix
- Your limes will provide more juice if theyre at room temperature. If you keep them in the fridge, take them out and zap them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to get the juices flowing.
- Does your margarita mix taste a bit tart? Add a little more of the simple syrup to sweeten it up. Keep in mind that the Cointreau/triple sec you add to the recipe to make a margarita from mix will add a little sweetness, too, so dont be too heavy-handed.
- If youre serving a crowd, consider doubling the recipe so youve got more than enough! Also, it keeps in the fridge, so any leftovers wouldnt go bad.
You May Like: How Do They Make Whiskey
Orange You Glad You Bought Liqueur
Not if you want a well-balanced drink. Triple sec, a term used interchangeably with curaçao, is a type of orange liqueur that provides fruity flavors as well as sweet and bitter notes all of which are essential for a well-made Margarita. Popular labels include Cointreau, Combier, Pierre Ferrand Curaçao, and Grand Marnier.
Swanson likes to use Cointreau in her Margaritas because its made with bitter orange peels, so she finds it drier than many brands of triple sec, and considerably less sweet than brandy-based Grand Marnier, she says.
Kearns opts for Cointreau or Combier, the 1834 orange liqueur that purports to be the worlds first triple sec. David Mor, beverage manager at Cindys in Chicago, prefers Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao in his Margaritas.
The most important thing there is to avoid anything that is simply called Triple Sec, Kearns says. This was a marketing statement devised by Cointreau at one point in its long history, and knock-off brands latched onto it. Consider yourself warned.
Wondering What Ingredients You Need For A Margarita Well Outline The Basics Plus A Couple Of Extra Add
Whether youre setting up a home bar or want to re-create your favorite bar cocktail, knowing what ingredients you need for a margarita is crucial. From tequila and orange liqueur, citrus juice and mix-ins, well break down the basic margarita ingredients you should have on hand.
While youre at it, these are the classic cocktail recipes you need to know.
Also Check: Mojito Recipe Simple Syrup Pitcher
Best Canned: Zing Zang Canned All
Courtesy of Amazon
Sometimes you’re in the mood to host a party, but other times you need to bring the party to your friends. For those occasions, a canned margarita mixer is the way to go: grab as many as you need, throw them in a bag, and dont worry about saving any leftovers. Zing Zang Margarita Mix is made from just a few natural ingredients, including agave nectar, cane sugar, and a blend of three juiceslime, key lime, and grapefruitbringing a bit of paloma character to what is still a familiar margarita mix flavor.
Stirrings Simple Margarita Mix
This mix uses only Key lime juice which imparts a sweet, smooth flavor rather than the acidic and tart taste of traditional Persian limes. Thanks to these limes, the Stirrings mix even has some subtle floral notes which you can get from these limes as well as the paler, yellow color.
Stirrings margarita mix is also infused with triple sec flavor which means when its time to mix, you only need to grab a bottle of tequila. All you have to do to enjoy a drink with this mix is rim a glass with salt and splash a bit of tequila inside.
Prefer a sweeter marg with that salted rim? Try Tres Agaves Organic Margarita Mix.
While on the sweeter side, this mixer isnt boring and sugary. Instead, Tres Agaves is sweetened withyou guessed itorganic agave nectar. This marg mix has a pleasant, mellow sweetness about it. In fact, Josh Rink in the Test Kitchen compares it to honey.
Paired with tart lime, this bottled beverage works well when shaken up with your favorite tequila. This is precisely the drink you want in hand when relaxing on your patio. Per Mark, this is a refreshing one to have over ice on a hot summer day.
Also Check: How Old Is Xo Cognac
What Are The Ingredients In A Margarita Mix
The main ingredients in a store-bought margarita mix are lime juice, artificial flavors, and large amounts of sugar, typically in the form of corn syrup. Some pre-made margarita mixes already contain the alcohol, too, such as Jose Cuervo Golden Margarita, a signature cocktail of Grand Marnier Liqueur and Jose Cuervo Gold Tequila, plus a splash of lime for a smooth consistency.
Ingredients In A Margarita Mix:
- The sweet part: As mentioned normally filled by the triple sec which is a orange liqueur. Therefore, we need some kind of sweetener and also something that tasted like orange .
- Normal sweeteners youll find in margarita mixes:
- Agave nectar: also known as agave syrup. Many brands utilize this as their sweetener, and is also the one I prefer. Remember: Margarita is built around the base ingredients is tequila, which is made from the blue agave plant. Because of this agave nectar is perfect for this job!
- Cane sugar: Also used in alot of margarita mixes, sometimes in combination with agave nectar according to the producer. Basically the same as normal white sugar in terms of chemical composition.
- Corn syrup: Normal sweetener for commercialy produced prodocut. Would personally avoid it if its HFCS, since there is many margarita mixes without it.
Also Check: What To Mix With Clear Rum
Tips For The Best Margaritas
- To get the most juice out of each lime, let them come to room temperature and roll them on a hard surface before cutting them in half and squeezing them.
- You dont need to boil the sugar and water mixture . It just needs to be heated through so that the sugar dissolves when you stir it.
- If you are sensitive to the very tart flavor of the lime juice, you can add up to one cup more water to make the mix less acidic.
Scaling up, down or substituting? Youll love this printable Measurement Conversion Chart!
How To Make Homemade Margarita Mix
First, make the simple syrup. In a saucepan, combine the water and granulated sugar. Heat and stir occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved into the water. Remove from the heat, and let cool.
Next, juice the limes. Place a small fine mesh strainer on top of a liquid measuring cup , and juice the limes over it. This way, youll catch any seeds or pulp that come out of the limes as you juice them.
Finally, combine the ingredients in a pitcher or a large mason jar. Stir until combined, then refrigerate.
You May Like: What Juice Goes With Malibu Rum
How To Serve This Margarita Mix
There are a few ways you can serve this margarita mix! After you make it, heres what we recommend:
- Make single drinks to order. Keep the mix in your fridge and make single drinks to order using this formula: 3.5 tablespoons mix + 3 tablespoons tequila.
- Make a pitcher! If youre serving for a party, make a big. Throw all of the mix into the pitcher and add 1 ½ cups tequila. Party on!
Best For Other Spirits: Morris Kitchen Citrus Agave
Morris Kitchens Citrus Agave mixer definitely makes an excellent and refreshing margarita, with a mix of agave nectar, lime, sea salt, orange extract, and some cayenne for a subtle kick. But this is a margarita mixer that can also be used with virtually any other spirit you can think of, from rum to mezcal to vodka and gin. Try out a few different cocktail variations to compare side by sidejust switch out the base spirit and see how this versatile mixer performs with each!
You May Like: Where Can You Buy Uncle Nearest Whiskey
Erins Easy Entertaining Tips
Margaritas are a brilliant drink to make for any type of get-together, whether its a Mexican Dinner Party, Cinco de Mayo or just a random Tuesday when you want to have friends over for happy hour.
One of the best things about them is you can make them in batches, too, to make your life easier.
Here are a few thoughts on making margaritas with mix for entertaining:
- Juice your limes in advance. Alternately, consider purchasing the cold press lime juice from the refrigerated section of your grocery store. Yes, its more expensive than juicing your own, but its significantly faster unless you have an electric juicer.
- Make the simple syrup in advance, too. This stuff keeps in the fridge for weeks, so you dont have to make it the day youre making your homemade margarita mix.
- Double the homemade margarita mixrecipe if youre serving a crowd.
- Let guests mix their own margaritasor make a pitcher to make pouring even easier!
How Long Does Margarita Lasts
As already stated above, margarita mixes have higher sugar and acids. This does not allow the margarita mixes to go bad that quickly. But after a specific period, the quality of the margarita mix does degrade.
So we recommend you check the expiry date when you notice the quality of the mix has changed.
If you still find it in the best before period mentioned on the bottle, you can rest assured it is entirely safe for consumption.
Read Also: What Goes Good With Vodka To Drink
Tips And Tricks To Make Homemade Margarita Mix
Looking for a way to make this mix NA? How about the right way to zest those limes? Find the answers with these tips and tricks.
- Zesting limes: A fine microplane gets just the right amount of zest off the lime and none of the white pith underneath. Also, dont feel like you have to strain this with a fine strainer. Some lime zest floating around lets your guests know, Hey! Theres real lime in there!
- Non-alcoholic mix: Swap out the Cointreau with orange juice and zest. You may need to adjust the sweetness up or down depending on the type of orange you choose, so taste as you go! Offer your guests this nonalcoholic alternative margarita mix with sparkling water or tonic for a bubbly alternative to tequila.
- If youre looking for something other than tonic water as an alcohol substitute in your NA cocktails we have a whole list of our favorites in this article on The Best Non-Alcoholic Spirits for Building a Sober Bar.
What You Need To Make Prosecco Margaritas
Since you are going to be mixing the Prosecco into a cocktail, you dont need to buy the most expensive bottle of Prosecco in the store. Since you are saving on the sparkling wine, you can maybe splash out on the tequila a bit. You will want tequila Blanco for this margarita to keep the flavors light and citrusy.
These are all affiliate links, if you make a purchase after clicking through, I will earn a small commission. Ads and affiliate links are the way I am able to keep this website running and to offer you free tutorials all year long. Thank you so much for supporting me and Mad in Crafts!
Also Check: How To Make Your Own Gin
How To Make A Margarita
Whether sipped by the pool, at a fiesta, or just because it’s Tuesday, are a guaranteed crowd-pleasing drink. An instant celebration, this refreshing cocktail of tequila, orange liqueur , and fresh lime juice is typically served in a festive glass with a salted rim. We’ll show you how to make a margarita in several different ways, and share favorite recipes to try.
There are plenty of ways to make margaritas shake them with ice, blend them into a frozen treat, or if you’re in a rush, short-cut your way to success with a margarita mix.
This handy guide shows you three ways to make a classic margarita at home, plus plenty of tasty variations, so you can plan your next cocktail party.
Does Margarita Mix Go Bad How To Tell If Margarita Mix Is Bad
Whether youre having a happy or a sad day, margaritas are everyones favorite drink. Thats why theyre in every refrigerator.
Fortunately, margarita mixes last for a long time. However, occasionally, they may smell or taste strange. Does this mean they have gone bad? How long do margarita mixes last?
Our team is here to assist you if you have any similar questions about margarita mixes! The following article shall help you determine a good margarita mix from a bad one in no time.
Read Also: How To Open Knob Creek Whiskey
Best Overall: Barsmith Triple Citrus Margarita Mix
If you’re looking for a relatively inexpensive and excellently balanced margarita mix, Barsmith’s offering is not a bad way to go. This mix is not overly sweet, but also not terribly tart basically, it tastes like zingy limeade. It also only has 14 grams of sugar per 2-ounce serving and uses actual cane sugar, benchmarks that a number of their competitors did not meet. While it’s not the cheapest mix on the list, Barsmith will provide you with a quality margarita.
Buy It: $6.99 Instacart
Zing Zang Margarita Mix
When browsing the mixers section at the grocery store, youll find that most margarita mixes come in one-liter bottles. If you need to make a bigger batch and dont want to blow your budget, snag a bottle or two of Zing Zang Margarita Mix. This brand comes in 1.75-liter bottles and costs about the same as its smaller cousins.
Zing Zings mix was subtler than some options but that doesnt mean it lacked flavor. Sipping on this mixer, our team picked up more than just hints of lime. In fact, Zing Zangs margarita mix is formulated with lime, Key lime and grapefruit juice for more complexity.
According to Sarah Fischer in the Test Kitchen, This one balances really well with tequilaits easy to sip on. And isnt that exactly what you want when serving up margs at a party?
Looking for Bloody Mary mix? Zing Zang makes one of our Test Kitchens favorites.
Taste of Home
Also Check: What To Mix With Captain Morgan Dark Rum