If You Are Using A Pizza Oven
Preheat your pizza oven 850°F/450°C.
Lightly dust your pizza peel with flour and place your pizza crust on it .
Spread pizza sauce evenly on your pizza crust leaving a half inch border.
Drain your fresh mozzarella cheese and either slice or tear it and place it evenly on the pizza sauce.
Using the pizza peel, place the pizza in the Ooni oven and cook for approximately 2 3 minutes, turning every 20 seconds to ensure it cooks evenly.
When cooked, remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil leaves, kosher salt, and red pepper flakes.
Serve immediately and enjoy your Margherita pizza!
Perfect Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
Home » Recipes » Perfect Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
Welcome to the best-ever guide to making flawless, delicious, swoon-worthy pizza from your very own kitchen. At Female Foodie we take our pizza very seriously. As in, we want to be able to make the best possible pizza at home if were going through the hassle of gathering all of the ingredients for prime toppings, mixing/kneading/waiting for our own dough to rise, and then cooking and serving it to people we love.
After enjoying some of the best pizza in the world in Italy , New York City, and other noteworthy pizza cities statewide like Los Angeles, San Francisco, and even Portland, there are a few key things that we wanted in our quest for the best homemade margherita pizza recipe.
How To Stretch Pizza Dough
Read Also: How Do You Make Tequila
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Thoroughly pat mozzarella cheese pearls dry to prevent crust from getting soggy.
- tip 2 Seek out smaller basil leaves for this margherita pizza. If your basil leaves are larger, chop or thinly slice them before placing on pizza.
- tip 3 For a margherita pizza with extra flavor and a beautiful garnish, drizzle with more olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.
- tip 4 Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.
Best Homemade Margherita Pizza
My search for the best homemade margherita pizza is over! Youll want to make this homemade pizza recipe over and over again. For step-by-step dough instructions, check out the margherita pizza video below!
The time has come! Ive been teasing you on for weeks, and I sincerely apologize. I was busy eating this margherita pizza.
Ok, so let me be honest. I rarely ever, EVER tell you that a recipe is the best of anything. Let alone, put it in caps! Sure, Ill say that something is delicious, but declaring such bold statements generally makes me extremely uncomfortable. Im terrified that you will go home and make said best-ever-recipe and be disappointed. I would hate that.
But Im feeling very good about this best margherita pizza recipe and Im confident that you will love it.
Im not an authority on homemade pizza by any means, but Ive definitely eaten my share of pizza, both excellent and not so great.
The best margherita pizza that Ive ever eaten in my entire life was in Naples, Italy a few years ago during our trip to the Amalfi Coast. We stood in line in a cobblestone street just off of Via Tribunali in the historic neighborhood , and snagged a table at the famous Gino Sorbillo.
Oh, but it was glorious. The pizzas cost only three euros and arrived flopping off of the plates. Literally, flopping. They were huge. I ate every last bite of that pizza and came back for another one the very next day.
Read Also: How Much Sugar Does Flavored Vodka Have
Does A Margherita Pizza Have Toppings
A traditional pizza margherita is topped with only tomato sauce, cheese, and fresh basil. That said, if youre making it at home, one of the key benefits is that you can top it however you like if youre so inclined! So if youre in the mood for the classic, keep it simple, but if youre feeling it or just want to use up a handful of extra ingredients from the fridge, go for it.
Some of our favorite pizza toppings:
- Sun-dried or cherry tomatoes
Whats The Difference Between Margherita Pizza And Regular Cheese Pizza
If you are wondering what is the difference, then let me tell you. Margherita Pizza is made with tomato sauce or marinara as the base sauce on the crust.
Fresh Mozzarella and optionally some parmesan cheese is included which after being baked is topped with some fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil.
A cheese pizza has tomato sauce on the crust and topped with shredded mozzarella and a mix of various cheese fontina, romano, provolone or parmesan.
Don’t Miss: Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor Boundless Brandy
How To Make Margherita Pizza
Before you get started, make sure you use the best homemade pizza dough! < < That recipe is quick and easy, tried and true!
Watch The Video For Margherita Pizza
If youre looking for some fun pizza variation in your life, check out this Dessert Fruit Pizza and this Spinach Artichoke French Bread Pizza both different and delicious!
I hope you love this delicious and simple recipe be sure to give it a review below! Also dont forget to follow Belly Full on,,, and !
Don’t Miss: What To Drink With Anejo Tequila
Tips For Margherita Pizza Success:
For the best margherita pizza, you will want to preheat your oven to the highest temperature possible. For my oven, that is 550 degrees Fahrenheit. I allow my baking steel to preheat for at least 30 minutes . The higher the temperature the better.
This recipe makes two 10-inch pizzas, and they should be able to properly cook in 7 to 8 minutes at that temperature.
How To Make Pizza Dough
Great margherita pizza needs a great dough. Alex and I have been working on our recipe for over 10 years. These dough recipes incorporate tips from some of the premiere pizza chefs in America, who themselves have studied the pizza in Naples. Heres what to know:
- Use the best pizza dough recipe! Here are two options:
- Master Recipe: Pizza Dough is the absolute best method. You can make it using a stand mixer or your own two hands.
- Easy Thin Crust Pizza is similar, but youll roll it out thinner with a rolling pin.
- For next level dough, use Tipo 00 flour. The best flour is Tipo 00: its what Neapolitan pizza restaurants use. It makes for a beautiful, supple and fluffy dough. We buy our Tipo 00 flour online. All-purpose flour also works well, so its not required!
Don’t Miss: How Much Is Glenfiddich Whiskey
Why Is It Called A Margherita Pizza
The Margherita pizza is one of the most popular types of pizza in the world, but many people dont know why its called a Margherita.
The pizza was created in 1889 by Raffaele Esposito, who was working at the Pizzeria di Pietro restaurant in Naples, Italy.
Esposito named the pizza after Queen Margherita of Italy, who was visiting Naples at the time.
The pizza is made with mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, and basil leaves, and its often served with a side of olive oil.
Why We Love It
- Easy and inexpensive, put this together in under 30 minutes for less than $10.
- This recipe uses just a handful of homemade pizza ingredients.
- It’s beautiful to look at, note it has the same colors as Italy’s flag!
- You’ll fall in love with the taste: Sweet, savory, and fresh on the palate.
I put this homemade pizza recipe together on the fly, almost literally. I was amazed that I already had all the homemade pizza ingredients that I needed. Our BFF, Mike, is a commercial airline pilot and dropped by the cottage for a couple of days last week to do an education program at our kids’ school.
Having no idea of what I would make on the first night he spent, I knew that our friend who may or may not have once asked me how to hard-boil an egg would appreciate anything that I could put together.
To be sure, I had no intention of featuring this recipe on Platter Talk, not until I saw how pretty it was. Not until I tasted it. And not until I realized how incredibly easy this is to make. If you have wondered how to make Margherita pizza, I’m about to share with you just how to do it!
Read Also: Can I Order Vodka Online
Homemade Pizza Baking Equipment
Theres only 3 crucial tools you need for homemade pizza.
- Stand Mixer: An electric stand mixer is preferred for making homemade pizza crust, but you dont *NEED* it. You can simply mix and knead the dough by hand.
- Pizza Pan: Some pizza enthusiasts own pizza stones, baking stones, and pizza peels. If you have them awesome. If you dont, just use a regular pizza pan or a baking sheet.
- Pizza Cutter: This OXO pizza cutter because its sharp, comfortable, and easy.
How To Grow Your Own Basil
Basil is an annual plant that is easy to grow. It grows very fast under the right conditions. Two or three plants will yield a lot of fresh leaves.
Many gardeners enjoy mixing various varieties of basil in their flower beds, where it is ready for a quick harvest anytime. Its also great for containers.
The perfect spot to place your basil containers is where there is just enough sun to give you an abundant crop. Your basil will not be happy in the hot sun all day long. For more details on growing basil, read this how to grow basil guide.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Gin N Tonic
Modification For Indoor Oven
If you do not have a pizza oven that can get a stone to 700 degrees, the next best option is to use your oven and a pizza stone. This method is inspired by Ken Forkish, a legend in wood fired pizzas.
Total cooking time : 8 minutes
Do I Need To Make Pizza Dough
In an ideal world, it would be great to use homemade pizza dough.
But we dont always have the time and inclination to make it, do we?
So, you can buy store bought dough.
Just buy good quality pizza dough, as it certainly makes a difference.
Were developing the best pizza dough recipe that will be released shortly.
You May Like: Where To Buy Pinnacle Whipped Vodka
Homemade Margherita Pizza Recipe
Because Margherita pizza is so simple, the ingredients you use matter. Instead of picking up a store-bought pizza crust, youll want to take the time to make your own. And while youre at it, make the sauce too. Use fresh mozzarella instead of the shredded kind, and dont even think about swapping the fresh basil leaves for dried!
Theres nothing about this recipe thats hardin fact, its quite easy!but you will need to allow yourself enough time to make the homemade crust. You can make it in advance, though, or even make a double batch and freeze some for the next time you want a Margherita pizza!
Why Youll Love This Quick Margherita Pizza
- Absolutely delicious, this is a real crowd pleaser, kids and adults alike LOVE it!
- Its quick and easy to make and can take as little as 5 minutes from start to finish.
- Perfect for outdoor cooking and summer entertaining.
- Great for your next pizza night, game nights, and movie nights.
- All the ingredients are 100% vegetarian.
If youre anything like us and love homemade pizza, then you should check out our cheese pizza and Caprese pizza recipes perfect for outdoor or indoor cooking!
Don’t Miss: What Are Some Good Drinks To Make With Vodka
How To Make It
In lieu of fresh Roma tomatoes that are traditionally used on a Margherita pizza, I substituted some cherry tomatoes since there is no such thing as a fresh Roma tomato in Wisconsin this time of year. This proved to be an incredibly flavorful switch. My 500-degree oven effectively roasted these little cherry tomatoes, causing their skins to split, quite literally, making this pizza Margherita burst with flavor.
I put this great-tasting and easy Margherita pizza recipe together for under $10 and spent only a total of 20 minutes from prep to finish. Now that Mike is very competent at boiling eggs, he confided to me that he will be taking this pizza Margherita recipe back to Denver with him. It’s that delicious. And that easy.
Other delicious pizza recipes
The Margherita Pizza Toppings
Whats on a margherita pizza? The traditional margherita pizza ingredients are mozzarella cheese, tomato sauce, and basil. Because the toppings are so simple, they must be top quality. Here are the secrets to the best margherita pizza toppings:
- Tomatoes: Make our 5-minute and prepare to be amazed! Its made with canned fire roasted tomatoes, which have a sweeter flavor than most. Theyre easily available at most US grocery stores. Or substitute the highest quality canned tomato you can find .
- Cheese: Whats the best mozzarella for pizza? Use fresh mozzarella cheese, the kind sold in balls, then cut it into small pieces for overall coverage . A light topping of grated Parmesan cheese adds complexity.
- Basil: Using fresh basil is key. Add it after baking your pizza in the oven so that it will stay greenotherwise it turns black!
It takes a little bit of practice, but youll be making homemade margherita pizza in no time! And you can put your know-how to use in our other favorite pizza recipes, too.
Also Check: What Is The Best Whiskey On The Market
A Few Tips For This Recipe
- Plan ahead and dont rush the process. You can make this recipe all in one day, but you need to start the dough first thing in the morning .
- Make sure you have the right equipment. We love using our Breville pizza oven for this margherita pizza recipe, but a standard oven will do. You for sure want a food scale, a pizza peel, and a pizza stone at minimum.
- Dont swap the 00 flour for all-purpose flour, bread flour, etc. This recipe calls for the exact type of flour they use in Italy for pizza known as doppio zero flour or double zero flour. Most European markets carry it, and sometimes if were lucky well see it at Whole Foodies, but we find it easiest to just . Its extremely finely ground flour and will give you that delicate crust that will really make you fall in love with this recipe.
- Make sure that your pizza peel is dry and generously floured before you lay down the dough and assemble each pizza. There is nothing worse than trying to shimmy a pizza onto your pizza stone, only for it to ball up into a sad-looking calzone and waste all of the ingredients
- Keep it simple on your first try. Sure, we love getting creative with toppings , but if its your first time making homemade pizza, stick with the original recipe and at most add salami to a pie or two. The process of assembling each pizza and baking is a fast one, but the more you practice, the more youll get the hang of it.