Calories Matter Just As Much As Carbs
On a keto diet, counting net carbs is more critical than counting calories, but alcohol is the exception to the rule. Alcohol contains 100 percent empty calories. With just a few beverages, you can easily drink a meals worth of calories without realizing youre over your limit.
Repeat this too often, and your weight may start tipping in the wrong direction. Familiarize yourself with low-carb, low-calorie options, and stick to them.
What Alcohol Can I Drink On Keto
- Pure Spirits. Hard alcohol like vodka, rum, tequila, whiskey, and gin all contain zero carbs and are the most keto friendly alcohol choise.
- Hard seltzer. White Claw started the hard seltzer craze with their 2g carb per can beverages, plus more options like Truly and Bon & Viv make it easy to find your favorite.
- Some wines.;Not all wines are ideal keto alcohol drinks; depending on the type, carbs range from 0-4 grams a glass. Look for dry varietieslike brut champagne for sparkling; Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio for white; and Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot for redto stay on the lower end of the spectrum. Additionally, a higher alcohol content in the wine also indicates that it will have fewer carbs. Stick with wines that are greater than 12% alcohol.
What Makes Vodka A Popular Choice For Low Carb Diets
Vodka is one of the more popular spirits for people following low carb diets for a few reasons. Here are some of the more common ones:
- Vodka is low in calories, with a single fluid ounce having only 64 calories .
- Vodka contains 0 grams of net carbs.
- Vodka mixes incredibly well with a variety of popular low carb mixer options .
- Its also a common ingredient used in a ton of keto cocktail recipes since it can be paired with a lot of fruit-based mixers.
Also Check: How Do You Drink Vodka
Vodka On A Ketogenic Diet & Health Impact
Here you will find information and facts about health benefits of vodka.;
HOW HEALTH IMPACT IS MEASURED: 1the worst possible drink10very healthy liquid
Even though vodka doesnt have any vitamins or minerals and all of its calories come from alcohol, it still has a bunch of interesting health properties. Here are the major ones you want to know about:
- GREAT AT REDUCING STRESS. Vodka has been shown to be more effective at reducing stress that other alcoholic drinks like wine. It calms down the brain, lets you fall asleep quickly and will help you relax more easily.
- GOOD FOR HEART. Its not only about but alcohol in general has a positive effect on cardiovascular system and helps prevent heart disease. It can lower blood pressure and help increase the HDL good cholesterol levels.
- ANESTHETIC. In Europe vodka is used to cure a wide range of conditions starting from a cold, flu, toothache, stomachache and more.
- ANTISEPTIC. Vodka also works on the outside thanks to its antiseptic properties. It helps prevent infections and can be used to sterilize the wound . Its also good for hair and skin and so its the ingredient of many cosmetics.
As you can see vodka can have positive impact on your health both internally and externally. However, due to its zero content of vitamins or minerals, its final health score is only 7/10. I know I am repeating myself but if you want to reap the internal benefits of vodka, you have to consume it in moderation.
When To Avoid Alcohol
Should you avoid alcohol entirely when you are on the keto diet? There are some warning signs to look for.
If drinking makes you crave food, avoid it. Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and you will be more likely to lose track of what youre consuming.
Do you drink to excess? Getting drunk wreaks havoc on your body. Its best to enjoy one drink at a time if you are going to drink at all. If you think you might have a problem binge drinking, seek help.
Finally, if you always crave the sweeter drinks, maybe stop drinking entirely. As you read above, the sweet drinks have too many sugar and carbs to help you stay in ketosis.
Don’t Miss: What To Drink With 1800 Tequila Silver
Some Alcoholic Drinks Are Carbohydrate Pumps While Others Are Relatively Keto Friendly
When it comes to staying in ketosis, not all options are the same. Youll want to stay away from any sugar-filled mixed drinks and stay close to anything that is closest to the pure alcohol form .
You will want to stay away from you as a whole unless you opt for a light or low-carb option, but more on this later on in this article.
How Low Carb Is Vodka
Unflavored vodka is one of the lowest carb alcohols available. As a matter of fact, vodka is a true zero carb keto drink.
Vodka only contains alcohol and water.; That means the only calories in vodka are alcohol calories.; This fact is going to be important later when we talk about drinking vodka in moderation to stay in ketosis.
Vodkas nutritional profile is really pretty boring.; Vodka has zero everything except calories, however, the number of calories varies based upon the proof of the vodka.
Proof refers to the percentage of alcohol. 100 Proof = 50% alcohol, while 80 Proof = 40% alcohol, etc
You May Like: What Is Tequila Sunrise Made Of
Lets Talk Keto Hangover
Now that we have covered what alcohol is and isnt keto-friendly, we have to discuss hangover.
Your hangover is going to be worse on a keto diet.
The very reason why it happens is that carbs are acting as a buffer for alcohol in your bloodstream. Slowing down the rate at which it hits your system.
On a keto diet, your glucose reserves are low, and therefore alcohol hits you much faster and much harder than if you were not on a keto diet.
In conclusion, more than ever, it is important to drink responsibly when you are on a ketogenic diet!
Fatty Liver Lay Off The Booze Until It Heals
Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is a huge health epidemic, impacting increasing numbers worldwide including 65 million people in the US alone.15 Research suggests that one of the major contributors is the overconsumption of fructose and sugar sweetened beverages.16 Dr. Evelyne Bourdua-Roy wrote about how common NAFLD is among the patients in her GP practice but also how reversible it is on a low-carb, low-fructose, high-fat, no-alcohol diet in her article How fat is your liver?
Higher rates of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease are very common in people with diabetes, obesity, and polycystic ovarian syndrome.18
On a scan, a fatty liver looks exactly the same, whether caused by chronic alcohol consumption or high-fructose intake in someone who has never touched a drink.19
The takeaway: Anyone with any fatty or fibrotic liver issues should avoid sugar, carbs and alcohol until the liver has healed. If you have liver problems you should avoid alcohol under all circumstances, says Lustig.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Screech Rum In Us
In Conclusion: Can You Drink Beer On A Ketogenic Diet
Enjoying a cold beer when practicing the keto diet may seem quite impossible.
However, it is closer to reality than you think, since many brands of beer offer light beer options that reduce calories and carbohydrates.
Although these beers are not necessarily nutritious in any way they can still function as a good occasional treat after a long work week if you are practicing the keto diet.
It is always important to pay attention to the amount of beer you actually consume when practicing the keto diet has too many carbohydrates can ruin the ketosis State you have reached fairly quickly.
Get Wholesome Yum Simple Syrup For Drinks
Meet Wholesome Yum Keto Simple Syrup – it’s sugar-free & naturally sweetened with Besti . NO aftertaste & 0 net carbs!
- Drinks with soda or juice Including regular cola or lemon-lime soda, ginger ale, orange juice, cranberry juice, etc.
- Sweet wines Such as riesling, moscato, port, sherry, etc.
- Liqueurs These are loaded with sugar and typically made with some kind of syrup.
- Hard ciders or wine coolers These are essentially spiked fruit juice.
- Sangrias The wine in them is usually fine, but the added fruit, sugar, and/or juice is not.
Also Check: What Is The Best Anejo Tequila
What Alcohol Can You Drink On Keto
So, what drinks are ok on keto? There are a few different categories of low carb alcoholic drinks and keto friendly alcohol drinks:
- Hard Liquor Vodka, rum, tequila, gin, brandy, whiskey, etc. Most of these have 0 carbs, which is great, but you need to be careful with what you mix them with.
- Dry Wine Dry red wine, dry white wine, dry rose wine, dry sparkling wine, etc.
- Light Beer Most light beers are fine, but you can look up the carb counts of your favorite brands.
- Light Seltzers These are basically spiked flavored seltzer water, with no sugar added.
You Will Get Drunk Faster And Keto Hangovers Could Be Worse
Whether you have drunk a glass of red wine or two with friends after work or plan to drink beer through 18 holes of golf on the weekend, a keto diet Alters the effects of alcohol on your body.
When you are in ketosis, alcohol affects your system faster and stronger than when your body Harvard more carbohydrates.
Your alcohol tolerance drops to almost zero when you are in ketosis because your glycogen stores are depleted,
Usually, people have a larger amount of glycogen stored in their bodies thanks to high carbohydrate diets that act as a buffer to metabolize alcohol.
Without this buffer, your body processes alcohol much faster and you feel the effects much faster as well.
In addition to the new lower tolerance, those with a ketogenic diet report harder hangovers than when they ate a carbohydrate-rich diet.
Don’t Miss: What Are Some Good Tequila Drinks
Keto Drinks: Choose Low
There are many options when it comes to keto drinks, but water is the only one necessary for your survival and overall health.;
Others like bone broth, tea, and coffee can offer various health benefits and can be consumed in abundance on a keto meal plan. Coconut water and kombucha add a little flavor to your keto meal plan but should be consumed in moderation.
When it comes to alcohol, limit it to social gatherings, and choose hard liquor with a zero-carb mixer and citrus.;
The ketogenic diet is all about being your healthiest self, so making water your preferred choice is the best way to keep your body running in its optimal way.
Low Carb Keto Cocktail Recipes
Now that you know everything you need to know about alcohol on keto, Im excited to share some low carb keto cocktails that you can make at home!
These keto friendly, low carb alcoholic drink recipes are all naturally low in sugars and super easy to make:
- Keto Skinny Margarita This 5 ingredient skinny margarita low carb, paleo, and naturally sweetened.
- Keto Mudslide You wont believe that this dessert drink is keto-friendly!
- Skinny Raspberry Lime Rickey This beautiful cocktail has just 16 calories and 4 grams of carbs per serving.
- Low Carb Margarita Sorbet The perfect summer dessert for a Mexican meal.
- Copycat Baileys Irish Cream Youll want to pour this decadent drink in just about everything.
- Barbados Rum Punch This one will have you feeling like youre on the beach.
- Tequila Sunset This infused tequila gives great flavor to this drink, and looks pretty, too!
- Wild Berry Mimosa Perfect for parties, this bright drink is super festive.
- Keto Low Carb Mojito This is currently my favorite keto alcoholic drink recipe! My husband actually came up with it by modifying a mojito at a restaurant and asking them to leave out the simple syrup. You can order it at virtually any bar , but its easy to make at home as well. Find this skinny mojito recipe below!
Don’t Miss: What To Mix With Crown Apple Whiskey
What Else Can I Drink On Keto Besides Water
Thankfully, there are still plenty of options for beverages you can enjoy and still remain in ketosis, which are really any low-to-no carb drinks, says Tewksbury, such as:
- Fruit-infused waters
- Unsweetened teas
The bottom line: You can drink alcohol on keto if you do so in moderation and go with unsweetened alcoholic beverages that are low in carbohydrates.
Eat A Keto Meal Beforehand
Its easy to justify this is a cheat or an easy out, but the truth is you should always be making good sound food choices when possible.
Eating before you drink, much like on a carb diet, can help you to sponge up some of the alcohol and not metabolize it so quickly. And what you eat matters.
If you eat carbs and drink alcohol, youre essentially investing in the worst diet for your health, and you will never feel good about it. Not emotionally, not physically and not the morning after… ;
Instead, complement your goals with sound food choices during your downtime. Fat and protein are great options beforehand and can help stabilize blood sugar levels.
If you eat carbs before, during, or after alcohol, they will still kick you out of ketosis. Fats and proteins will make you feel fuller and reduce the urge to snack.
Here are three tips to follow when drinking on a keto diet:
Recommended Reading: Is There Non Alcoholic Tequila
Keto Friendly Wine Options
Can you drink wine on keto? Except for dessert wines, such as ports and sherries, most red and white wines will set you back ~120 calories and 3-5 net carbs per 5 oz pour making them ok to drink occasionally
Also, the sweeter the wine like a Riesling or Moscato will be higher in net carbs which makes sense.
Just a fair warning, there may be certain wines that put in additives or even added sugars so be cautious.
Below is a list of red and white wines along with their calorie and net carb content per 5 oz pour.
What Is The Impact Of Vodka On Your Keto Diet
Like all other alcoholic beverages, vodka will not necessarily halt your ketosis. But keep in mind that it will probably slow it down and will negatively affect the weight loss you’re striving for.;
The alcohol will slow down your ketosis because your body will halt ketone production until the alcohol in your body is dealt with. The body considers alcohol as a possibly toxic substance. So once it enters your body, it will deem it more important to process and eventually eliminate the alcohol.
Because of how the body perceives alcohol and ketosis, the body will inevitably halt the ketone production and the fat-burning process.;
Not to mention that heavy drinking will likely lead to overeating as well. Once intoxicated, you might not have the self-restraint to avoid foods that are not keto-friendly.
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Ciroc Vodka
Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash
Image from peaceloveandlowcarb.com
Its a good time to sip on some refreshing cocktails!
This Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash is perfect for those hot days when you want something light but still packs a punch.
The combination of strawberries, basil, lemon juice, simple syrup, and bourbon make this cocktail one that will leave you feeling refreshed after every sip!
One of the coolest-looking cocktails made with only three ingredients it couldnt be easier to put together.
Calories: 159kcal, Carbs: 3.5g, Fat: 0.4g, Protein: 0.5g
Can I Drink Spirits On Keto
Can I drink whiskey on keto? Does tequila have carbs? Can I have vodka on keto? I hear these questions ALL the time.
Yes, you can. As long as your spirits are not mixed with other sugar-loaded ingredients like fruit juice, syrups, sodas, or energy drinks. Its that simple.
Manufacturing spirits requires the use of carb-loaded ingredients like potatoes , grain , agave , or sugar cane .
But is liquor keto after this process? How can vodka be keto when its made from a very not keto vegetable?
Yes! Because all the carbs in these spirits turn into alcohol during the distillation process and they end up with no carbs left at the end.
Lets have a look at how many carbs you would find in spirits.
Don’t Miss: Don Q Passion Fruit Rum
Can You Have Alcohol On Keto
While its obvious that sweet mixed drinks and beer are full of sugar and carbs that can immediately bring you out of ketosis, straight liquor and dry wine can also cause issues for some people.
When talking about drinking on the keto diet, you have to consider the processes that go into your body metabolizing alcohol, and how that can interfere with your body being in ketosis.
Your health and body are unique to you, so its important to understand that even if you drink a low-carb alcoholic drink, your reaction may not be the same as the person across from you. Listen to your body, and act accordingly.
Take a drink like a vodka soda: It has very few calories and even fewer grams of sugar. However, even though it uses a liquor with no carbs, its not the calories in this simple drink that can cause a problem; its how the body processes the liquor in the first place.
Calories In 15 Ounce Shot Of Vodka By Proof
- 100 proof vodka is 124 calories
- 90 proof vodka is 110 calories
- 80 proof vodka is 96 calories
- 70 proof vodka is 85 calories
To be clear, all of these calories are alcohol calories, which are moved to the front of the line for processing.; This means that your liver will start working on converting alcohol calories to energy before your body processes any other sources of energy, including the body fat that you are trying to lose!
This means that while having a zero-carb drink like vodka wont kick you out of ketosis, it will stall your weight loss until those alcohol calories have been consumed.
You May Like: How To Make Your Own Tequila Brand